A Good Deed , Stairs and Buffalo Wings, 30 June - 1 July

 

Sunday - Another shopping trip on the bikes, mainly as we have a guest for lunch tomorrow – but also to stock up on wine (including a bottle of Champagne courtesy of Natasha for Father’s Day).  We also got a few items for the ‘new’ freezer which was now powered on and apparently working fine.

On the way to the supermarche I spotted a wallet on the path. It was full of cards and cash and, fortunately, ID cards. I asked at the Tourist Information where I should report such a find and they directed me to the local Gendarmerie. The Gendarmerie was far more secure than a British police station – and they were not answering the buzzer at the front gate. Eventually they spotted me an let me in. Good deed for the day done I returned home, and we had some lunch.

After lunch, and after 3 relatively lazy days, we got to work on the house. This afternoon’s project was the stairs between the ground and second floor. Sally got to work (doing the harder job) cleaning the steps with a mixture of meths and white spirit, whilst I removed the banister and sanded it down – finishing with a few coats of woodworm treatment (it had a very small amount which was probably long dead – but no harm treating it).






Sally then baked some bread for tonight’s burgers and (frozen) chips.

Also had a call, from the gent whose wallet we’d handed in, to say thank “thank you”; which was nice.

Monday -  Sally got to work cleaning the flight of stairs between the second and third floors, whilst I spent an enjoyable time flying WWII biplanes across our dining room table as I played Buffalo Wings (the air war over Finland) against Andy Down, and ex-copper living near Limoges. The time flew too (pardon the pun) with Andy arriving around 11 am and the game finishing at 20:30). Admittedly there was plenty of chat and Andy and I got to know each other, and there was lunch, but that is still a long time (poor Sally) and we hadn’t realised how late it was getting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

Last Few Days - Parting Gifts, 11 - 15 Oct.

Woodworm & Sawdust - August 23, 2018