Went to Buy a Fridge Thermometer and Bought a Fridge, 16th July

Went for a nice stroll last night, after writing up yesterday’s blog entry. Only through town, but the reverse direction to the norm – which gave us a whole new perspective on the town’s layout and architecture. 

The original main road through the town.

A tradition in the old town is to attach a branch of chestnut to the door to keep disease at bay. I’m sure its neither an illusion nor a coincidence that more properties appear to be sporting them this year.

Anyhow, on to Thursday. Even more of a lie-in today. Sally was up first, unusual, but I wasn’t up until just gone 0900. After breakfast, the treat we’d promised ourselves – a trip to the tip. The old shower and numerous old cardboard packing boxes filled the car. Got most of our rubbish in, but we’ll need another trip, towards the end of the visit, to totally empty the garage of rubbish.

Talking of this visit, we’re planning the next already. Natasha, Tom and Serena want to visit in early September. I’ll book that week as leave, and hopefully have the opportunity to work out here before and after their visit.

On the way back from the decheterie, we popped into Intermarche to but a fridge thermometer – and left with a new fridge instead. The price was right, and it looks quite cute – being bright red and ‘vintage’. This will become the kitchen fridge and the old (if you can call 3 years old, old) fridge will move into the ‘study’ and become the drinks fridge.

Funky new fridge


Repurposed fridge. Now conveniently next to my desk in the study
(I fear we may have overdone the bottled water)

After lunch popped out to Supe-U on the pushbike to get some noodles and veg for the evening’s stir-fry. On arriving, I realised I’d not brought my covid-mask. First time in a shop without a mask for about 4-months; felt rightly guilty.

Back home and Sally was painting the wardrobes – looking really nice and, after finishing a small amount of puttying, I drilled 4 beams and laid the last length of cable for the top floor. Except, on ‘finishing’ I realised I had another hole to drill in a 10” wide beam – that can wait for another day. One lesson learned: Cheap spade drills are not as good as more expensive ones. I had bought ½ a dozen Silverline drills that I was using yesterday and most of today. Drilling with each for about 20 seconds, and then swapping for another. Rotating through them to give them a chance to cool. Towards the end of today, I used a Dewalt bit – couldn’t believe how easily it cut through the wood. All that work I could have saved myself if I’d only spent more (probably a fair bit more). No more Silverline bits for me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

Last Few Days - Parting Gifts, 11 - 15 Oct.

Rain Upsets Plans, 13 - 18 Sept.