Garage Roof Disaster, 19 July

 

I’ve ended the day truly bushwhacked.

The first half was very pleasant. A ride up to Intermache to get some provisions and some linseed oil for the new work surface. 2-3 km, all up hill – but the e-bikes made easy work of it. 

When we got back Sally got to work finishing painting the balustrade (because she had to reach through the panels to paint the far side, she got as much paint on herself as the woodwork), 

You're supposed to pain the balustrade, not yourself

and then waxing the wardrobe frame and doors, whilst I started on the garage roof, laying the felt and cutting the new roll to size. Then out with the bitumen. The tar was pleasantly easy to lay and then, when about half-way through it I realised there was a thicker sediment in the bottom half of the tin – clearly I was supposed to have stirred it. I saw no instructions to that effect on the tin! So, now, the second half of the roof was going to be a lot harder due to the thickness of the tar and, worse, there is a good chance one or both sections will not bond as well as it might due to the lack of stirring.

I was frustrated and downhearted. The job was less than pleasant, the heat was passing 30 degrees and I was at this job, literally half-way up to my elbows in tar, for the best part of the day. But, now it is done. I can only hope that the bond is good, and the garage roof is finally waterproof. Oh, and that tar gets REALLY hot in the sun. To add injury to insult, I was also bitten by some form of fly – and the bugger didn’t want to let go as I tried to beat him off.

After that, bathing in white spirit and washing up liquid before hitting the shower.

Last job of the day was much more pleasant, oiling the new kitchen worktop. Looks nice ðŸ˜Š

The oil brings out the beauty of the wood.

Sally's work on the wardrobes get soff to a good start - and wait untill you see the finished items (with before and after shots) in a few days.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

Last Few Days - Parting Gifts, 11 - 15 Oct.

Rain Upsets Plans, 13 - 18 Sept.