My House is Better than Your House

Monday 3 August
I was wrong, I didn't have two more socket apertures to drill/chisel into the wall, I had four - two in internal walls (relatively easy) and two on outer walls (buggers, due to the granite). I also had to lift another floorboard. Doing this took all morning and well into the afternoon and was very dusty work.

Once that was done, I used the dying Miele vacuum to do what it could and then showered, ate (post noodle) and headed over to (you guessed it) Leroy Merlin to get a new vacuum. Thanks to Sally's research we'd settled on a Karcher WD3 which LM had at what looks at really good price. On top of that, I decided to use the (one-off) 5% discount the store card gives me during the first three months - as I may not get another opportunity. As I was burning the discount, I bought a few extra bits and bobs for the house electrics.

There is a Renault garage just down the road from LM so I took the opportunity to take a brief look at the Dacia Duster and Renault Kadjar. Both look perfectly fine and either could be my next car - though I think the performance/economy of the Renault may make that the favourite.

I'd received the contract for my new job earlier in the day and so, when I got home, I read through that and contacted the employer with a couple of questions. Then it was back upstairs to take the Karcher for a spin - it is noticeably better than the expiring Miele. It is obviously built to a price and the quality of the components are nothing compared to the vacuum it is replacng - but it sucks (in the best sense of the word) and, as a bonus, the Miele attachments all fit, so I can continue to use the likes of the Turbo Brush ๐Ÿ‘.

Tomorrow is the last full day in the house before I set off back to the UK so, the priority will be to clean the house top to bottom. If I get the time I will finally apply the PVA wash to the socket apertures and may even lay some of the hardboard.

Tuesday 4 August
It is 18:40 and the house is finally clean top to bottom - that's all I've achieved though (other than a trip to the tip and some laundry) - no more work on the sockets and no hardboard laid.

I did have a gentleman pop around and ask me if I knew anyone who might be interested in buying his deceased father's house, just up the road. He's looking for €60,000  - and tells me it is nicer than our house (๐Ÿ‘… I'll make allowances for the language difference๐Ÿ˜‰). If you're interested, I can provide contact details.

The other major achievement today was to sign the employment contract and send off the acceptance email - now I've done it!

Right. Dinnertime.

Tomorrow it should simply be a matter of breakfast, prepping for winter (draining water, salt in loo and sinks), throwing over the dustsheets and then hitting the road. I have an overnight stop north of Amiens and the take the chunnel late Thursday morning.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

A Night at the Chateau. 4-5 July

Our House Becomes More Habitable - Monday 4th June, 2018