What is the French for 'Hardboard' - 12 July, 2018

Yet another day that didn't go to plan - i.e. I didn't get as much done as I hoped.

I headed into Brive, late morning, with the principal intention of tracking down some hardboard. We need this to put down on the uneven floor, prior to laying the cushion flooring I've brought from the UK. Earlier in the week I had drawn a blank locally when trying to find some - in fact the manager at the local builders' merchants didn't appear to know what I was after; he tried to sell me chipboard.

First stop was Leroy Merlin. Though a large store, they had no hardboard. I did take the opportunity to have them plan our kitchen though - quite a feat as the lady I was dealing with spoke no English (and you know what my French is like).

Next stop was Carrefour to buy jam and fruit juice - and to have a look at their electric bikes. I would have bought a bike there and then, had they had anyone that could provide me with even basic technical information - as it was they couldn't even give me details of the battery. Disappointing. Despite this I still managed to spend €120 - bloody expensive jam and juice! In fact I did buy one or two additional items - including an electric fan and a patio table.

Next up was Mr Bricolage - on the hardboard hunt. In the very last aisle I found what I was looking for - though they only had four sheets (albeit large sheets). I gambled on getting them in the car if they cut them in half. They just fitted - with a little bending. Phew!

I had also wanted to visit Brico Depot to see if they also had any hardboard (and to buy a shelving unit to match a pair I bought on our last visit to France) - but with the temperature at near 30 degrees Celsius, I was concerned that the bent hardboard would distort significantly if it was in the back of the car any longer than necessary. To be honest I doubt I would have got many more sheets in the car anyway.

So, with the time now approaching 4 pm I headed home. I had also wanted to visit the local Emmaus store but I had to give this a miss too. A shame, as they only open on Thursdays and Saturdays - and then only from 2 pm to 5 pm.

So, I now plan to visit Brive again on Saturday to get the shelves, visit Emmaus, possibly buy a bike, and see if Brico Depot does have hardboard. Saturday, of course, is Bastille day - so a visit to the town may include other attractions - we'll see.

Tomorrow: Start laying the lino.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

Last Few Days - Parting Gifts, 11 - 15 Oct.

Rain Upsets Plans, 13 - 18 Sept.