A Diverted Waterfall and Chicken Chasseur - 20 July, 2018

To be honest, not much happened today - which was the plan, to a degree, as I'd reached a bit of a milestone the day before and intended taking things a little easier.

The day started with a bike ride to view the local prison (well, its good to have a purpose in mind). The forecast was for rain and storms from late morning, and so I wanted to get out early. As it happens I didn't reach the prison and it didn't rain. I actually took a wrong turn fairly early in the ride but the good thing about getting lost is that you see areas you may otherwise have missed. The ride was again very hilly and there is no way I'd have attempted it on a conventional bike. As it was I had a pleasant ride of just under 10 km.

The beauty of the countryside around the town continues to thrill me.


This funnelling of a small waterfall amused me:



After the ride I bought some undercoat for tiles and applied its to the area under the window in the shower room (behind where the radiator sits). I tidied up the cushion flooring laid yesterday and fitted the new loo seat.

I took the time to prepare a proper (French) meal for lunch - Chicken Chasseur:


Next job was to remove and renovate the shower room door. Like the toilet door this had panels nailed over the original decorative features. Unlike the toilet door, once the panels were removed, this door had the original panelling in place - and this was real panelling, 3 solid wood, tongue and groove, panels per section. Unfortunately the were badly damaged and, realistically beyond repair.


The earlier repair attempts that had been made were Heath-Robinson in the extreme as this photo shows:


Tomorrow's agenda is a little undecided. I may continue to work on the door - but that will mean a trip to Brive as I need some more wooden mouldings. If I do go to Brive, I'll probably try some sight-seeing too. The (non-exclusive) possibility is that I'll put hardboard down on the first-floor landing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

Last Few Days - Parting Gifts, 11 - 15 Oct.

Rain Upsets Plans, 13 - 18 Sept.