Sque-eeeeeeeeeze!!! (April, 2018)

Saturday's job, once we'd got back from doing the money transfer at the bank, was to get the car packed ready for heading over the channel.

As the ferry journey isn't until Wednesday, you'd be forgiven for thinking this was premature (and I suspect Sally may agree with you), but here are my reasons:

  1. I will be away from home from early evening on Sunday and then working from home (and doing a long day) before we head off at 5pm. There simply won't be the time to pack on the Wednesday.
  2. Sunday is an option but we'd be working to a hard deadline (the train departure time for my trip 'up north'). I much preferred not to have this added pressure - especially as I knew the packing would be a challenge - and the more rushed you are, the more likely you are to forget something.
So, for the sake of one unnecessary day sitting packed and parked, it was a Saturday job as far as I was concerned.

I reversed the car onto the drive, This was partly to facilitate packing, but the other consideration was to avoid advertising that there was a car full of possessions sitting for four nights on the drive.

We had a mental impression of what we needed to get into the car and what the 'nice to haves' were. I have a bit of a reputation as an efficient packer of suitcases, so I was hoping to bring those skills to bear here. The Skoda Octavia's rear capacity has also always impressed me and I was confident she wouldn't let me down this time. 

As well as the usual clothes, toiletries etc., there were some seriously bulky and/or heavy items including:
  • A solid (and I mean 'solid') wooden futon/settee
  • 10 litres of paint
  • A substantial set of tools
  • Decorating equipment
  • Bed linen/pillows
  • 2 directors chairs
Nice to have included: 
  • A bucket
  • A washing-up bowel
  • Cushions
  • Secure document box
  • A hatstand
If I say so myself, I am impressed with what we got in. The hatstand defeated me (largely due to the odd shape) but everything else is there - and with space to spare as you can see:


It did look laden down though. Was it too much for the car - especially considering the length of the journey ahead?

I'd already checked the tyre pressures (and added extra pressure in the rear tyres as per the owner's manual). Now I decided to take it for a short spin, over some local 'sleeping policemen' and see how the suspension and steering felt.

She was fine. Perhaps a little more 'gas' when pulling off and I suspect stopping distances will have increased, but suspension and steering seemed OK. The lack of vision through the rear window will be annoying, but if van drivers can cope with side mirrors alone, then I should be able to.

When we unpack in France, if I remember, I want to take a photo of just what we have in that boot - I think you'll be impressed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

Last Few Days - Parting Gifts, 11 - 15 Oct.

Woodworm & Sawdust - August 23, 2018