Progress - Both Slower and Quicker than Expected - 22 August, 2018.

The day commenced with the trip to Leroy Merlin to get the conduit necessary for the earth cable, some rubble sack for the soil removed from the garage roof and some halogen bulbs. I got everything I needed (though I reckon I sent over an hour in the store) and then back home to start work.

After a couple of issues, got the halogen lamp working again so I could see what I was doing in the cellar.

I routed the 16 mm conduit for the earth cable through the hole drilled yesterday and along the cellar ceiling to the earth cable. Dirty work in the dusty and somewhat cobwebby cellar but not overly difficult. More difficult was deciding how best to route the cable in the garage so as to navigate the existing cables and pipes that adorn its walls.  It would make things easier if I could pass the cable through existing 20 mm conduit for part of its journey to the fuse-box.

I consulted a book I have on French electrics to see if there was capacity in the 20 mm conduit for the earth wire as well as the three existing power cables. There wasn't. Worse still, it appeared that though the earth cable, by itself, would easily fit in 16 mm conduit, the 'regs' required that I use 20 mm. So, I stripped down the conduit I'd just laid in the cellar, drilled a larger hole between the cellar and garage, and laid 20 mm conduit instead, luckily I'd bought some of that too. I then threaded (sounds easier than it was - though 20 mm conduit was no doubt easier than 16 mm) the earth cable through the conduit, and into the garage.

At the end of the day I have the cable running from the earth rod (though not yet attached), into the garage, and up the garage wall. I now need to run it along the ceiling next to two and a bit walls to the fuse-box. I'll need more 20 mm conduit for that, so back to Leroy Merlin tomorrow.

Though there was a false start with the 16 mm conduit, I was still happy with the overall progress made - for once a job was (a little) easier than anticipated.

And. before I sign off, I'd just like to wish my dad a happy 87th birthday (you don't look a day over 65) .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receipt of Compromise & Diagnostics Reports (Feb 2018)

Last Few Days - Parting Gifts, 11 - 15 Oct.

Woodworm & Sawdust - August 23, 2018